10.18.2005

New Powertap--

About a month ago I was feeling rather nerdy so I thought lets buy some new toys to play with and I spent a crap load of money on stuff I had wanted for quite some time. I am such a random shopper.. I will go months on end buying nothing then all of a sudden I will get bored and splurge on tons of new toys. So any ways I will be reviewing some of my new toys for a while.

My newest purchase I have been using is a powertap
I really like having a powertap personally! They are great training tools and they let you analyze your ride and see where you are using enrgy. I was previously using a Heart Rate monitor to train with and this seem to work great. You are able to see how hard you are working and do more focused training rides then you can with out. But the feed back from a pewer tap is way more useful.

Powertaps Let you
  • Analyze how long you are actually able to sustain a desired intesity. You can do this better because you are seeing how much power you are putting out. With an HR monitor you only see your HR which takes time to react to your body. Many times your HR will stay very high for a long period of time after an interval or give you a higher intesity factor then you are actually exerting because you may be fatigued powertaps don't lie
  • Ability to analyze all you efforts did you go out to hard and fade off? HR's dont tell you this info did you recover strong from that interval? How is you power output reacting to what you are doing. Many things can influence HR power never lies.
  • Ability to track a training plan and see if youo are overtraining. OK so this is more of a software feature but it is nice. Cycling Peaks software has a feature which calculate how hard an interval was based on your personal abilities. It then rates it and tells you how long it will take to recover from the intesity amazing!


So those are some really nice features which I am enjoying one thing I don't like is that I cannot dispaly enough things on the screen at once. I have my heart rate monitor on my bike as well so I can keep track of time, my bike looks like the cockpit of a plane its crazy!!

1 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Blogger Neil said...

SWEET!! I wish I had one of those to play with....wait I wish I had a road bike to put one of those things on.
I wonder how much power I was putting out during the Trail Trash Time Trial?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home