12.22.2005

Tempo from Hell

I did a tempo workout the other day that was like ripping my legs off and beating myself over the head. I have been working with power this year and have seen some fast gains but every once in a while you hit a workout that is like pulling teeth. The difference with power is that if you feel bad or are tired you still put out the amount of power you are producing and that is it. Let me clarify, with heart rate if you feel bad then your heart rate is probably higher on its own. Probably because you are recovering from yesterdays workout or you are tired or sick etc etc. So with power it doesn't matter how you feel power is what it is.



So I had to do a tempo workout consisting of 2 20 min intervals normally when I do tempo my heart rate sit around 150-155. Not this time though. in order to put out the power I needed too my heart rate was rocketing up to an average of 177, and a max of 183 awful. To make things worse I was on the trainer, or the shrine of pain as I am now getting to know. This makes it ultimately harder to get yourself to push through this kind of pain. The only thing keeping me going was visions of the people I will be getting beaten by next year floating through my head and thinking that this interval was closing the gap to them. Silly huh.



It is amazing to see the pain that we put our selves through as bikers in order to get one step up on the other guy. I don't quite understand this complex but realize I have it. Its a great way to work through the stress of life and to see yourself in a positive way. I love the sense of accomplishment that come with being able to bust out an awful interval and the pride that comes with the results and rewards it reaps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home